About Me

My photo
Watching my mom and grandmother expertly apply lipstick with or without a mirror enveloped in a mist of Chanel 22 planted the seed of my obsession with everything pretty. I have worked as a model and pro. make-up artist for approximately 13 years now and I still moonlight as one when I am not busy running my Hypnotherapy and Life Coaching practice and being a mom to an awesome teenager and a wife to a talented man.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday's How To- DIY GLYCOLIC ACID PEEL

I am in my early 30's and not too long ago I started to see it in my skin. In order to plump, exfoliate and boost my collagen as well as reduce any fine wrinkling I might have or develop I began doing at home glycolic acid peels. I used to have these done regularly at the dermatologist office I worked for and I know what great results they offer and how they were applied. Now that these skin treatments are readily available online it is easier to perform them on yourself instead of paying anywhere from $150-$500 for a light peel.

Light chemical peels, commonly referred to as lunchtime peels, are used to treat light wrinkling, blemishes and uneven pigmentation by enhancing, smoothing, shedding and stimulating the collagen production of the skin. There certainly are risks and these include infection, scarring, burning and pigmentation issues for those with darker toned skin. I also need to add that in no way am I responsible for your results, your method of application and any possible side effects. These are only suggestions and I am free of any responsibility regarding you following this skin treatment.

In order to do your at home glycolic peel you will need the following items:
  • Glycolic Acid: I purchase mine through Amazon through the company Skin Laboratory. I use a 50% solution but I suggest you begin with the lowest percentage available, usually a 20%, and gradually increase percentages as your tolerance  increases.
  • Cotton balls or pads
  • Cotton swabs
  • Clean towel(s)
  • Calming lotion: I highly recommend using Atopalm Cream. I can not stress what a great calming/redness relieving cream this is. I buy mine through Dermstore
  •  Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol OR 100% Pure Acetone (FROM BEAUTY SUPPLY NOT HARDWARE STORE!)
  •  Face Cleanser: Preferably one that is great at removing makeup such as Mac's Green Gel.
  • Timer
  • Running water
  • Well ventilated and well lit area
First I recommend you do a patch test. Wash and pat dry the inside of your wrist. With some cotton, cleanse any remaining area with either acetone or alcohol to remove any oil residue. Now dip one end of your cotton swab and apply acid in a horizontal motion on your skin. One layer only. You will experience some stinging/burning. Wait 3 minutes and rinse with cool water. Pat dry. If this was tolerable to you and you did not experience any excessive burning, blistering or allergic reaction, you are probably ok to apply the glycolic acid on your face and/or chest. Whether you chose to proceed is your decision and not my responsibility in any way.

Application for face is as follows:
  1. Wash your face with a make-up removing cleanser rinsing throughly and pat dry with a clean towel.
  2. Put some alcohol or 100%  pure acetone on a cotton ball or pad and swipe face as if it was toner carefully avoiding eye area, lips and nostrils. Please do this in a well ventilated and lit area. This will remove any remaining makeup and oil residue from your skin.
  3. Rinse face with cool water and pat dry with towel.
  4. Holding two cotton swabs as demonstrated in the picture below, dip the ends into your glycolic acid solution. Remember NOT TO DOUBLE DIP.
  5. Rub glycolic solution horizontally on your face, starting with your right cheek area, chin, left cheek area, forehead and nose AVOIDING NOSTRILS, EYE AREA AND LIPS. Do one layer only and use as many swabs as you need in order not to double dip. When you are done applying acid to your face, put your timer on 3 minutes. (With time you will be able to increase the amount acid is left on skin up to 10 minutes, but for now start with 3 minutes)
  6. Your face should begin to tingle, sting and burn. If unbearable, please rinse off with copious amount of cool water and contact a doctor as soon as possible. 
  7. When your timer rings, rinse your face off with copious amounts of cool running water, keeping your mouth and eyes closed. Rinse, rinse, rinse until you can feel your skin feeling clean of any acid. You skin will still continue to sting/burn for a while after rinsing completely.
  8. Pat dry with a towel.
  9. Apply Atopalm Lotion or any calming lotion on face.
  10. DO NOT apply make-up for at least 12 hours, avoid the sun for at least 6 hours and be consistent with using sunscreen for the following days. Your skin will flake and begin to peel the next day. You should see your skin improve within 4 days!
In order to see excellent results you should do a peel at least once a week for 4-6 weeks at a time.

My routine is one time a week for six weeks and then a break for 4-6 months. Like I said, I am NOT an esthetician or doctor and what works for me may or may not work for you. Only you and your dermatologist know your skin. With that in mind, please take the utmost precaution when doing a treatment like this. If you experience any adverse and/or allergic reaction please contact your physician or medical center. I hope you enjoyed this post. See you soon and remember to....
Stay Pretty! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
Stay Pretty ;)